Our Mission is to support, strengthen, and promote those organizations dedicated to reversing the trend of destruction of ocean environments around the world.
We do this in three ways:
- We advance innovative, customized philanthropic solutions for individual, corporate and government donors, we simplify giving so donors can focus on their chosen passion for the coasts and ocean.
- We focus our collective expertise to generate cutting edge content on emerging threats, potential solutions, and better strategies for implementation.
- We find, evaluate, and support the most effective marine conservation projects and organizations.
Our vision is to be the organization that:
- Steers human interaction with the coasts and ocean toward a sustainable future by building a strong, vibrant and well-connected community of donors, grantees and projects that effectively responds to urgent issues and seizes on key opportunities for global marine conservation.
- Provides leadership to the ocean conservation community - working together, developing a better understanding of potential solutions to the threats facing the marine environment, along with stronger capacity and effectiveness to implement those solutions on the ground and in the water, and
- Promotes the use of diverse tools to protect and restore ocean habitats worldwide.
We work with a community of donors who care about the coasts and oceans. In this manner, we grow the financial resources available to support marine conservation in order to promote healthy ocean ecosystems and benefit the human communities that depend on them. We operate using a well-established business model (the community foundation) to serve donors and partners interested in marine conservation. TOF does this by increasing the capacity of conservation organizations, hosting projects and funds, and supporting those working to improve the health of ocean species globally. To do this, we raise millions of dollars each year to support marine conservation. These funds come from individuals, corporate donors, private foundations, and governments. We meet our mission through five lines of business: Fiscal Sponsorship Fund services, Field of Interest grantmaking Funds, green Resort Partnerships, Committee and Donor Advised Funds, and Consulting services.
Because of the dynamic nature of our business, including the many projects that we host, we have a variety of powerful resources that we can bring to bear on any ocean conservation project. Our geographic community is the 70% of the earth’s surface covered by ocean. Our human community includes the donors, governments and grantees that are engaged in ocean conservation anywhere in the world. We have grantees, partners and projects on all the world’s continents. The Ocean Foundation Board of Directors is comprised of individuals with significant experience in marine conservation philanthropy, complemented by an expert, professional staff, and a growing international advisory board of scientists, policy makers, educational specialists, and other top experts.